Here are some important factors to consider when choosing leather quality:
How often will the furniture be used?
Will the furniture be used every day and for many hours per day? Is it placed in front of the TV? Will it be your favorite chair for reading? Will it only be used when you have guests?
Do you have children or pets that might use the furniture? Or only adults who will remove stains and spills immediately?
Placement of the furniture
Will your furniture be placed near heat sources or in direct sunlight?
Body oils and perspiration, use of medicines and cosmetic products can over time break down the protective layer of the leather.
Time willing to spend on maintenance
Look and feel
Which look and feel do you want your furniture to have? Leather samples are available at your local Stressless dealer.
- Durable and practical
- Favorable price, as most hides can be used to make this quality
- Most of the natural marks are removed through sanding
- Embossed grain
- Pigments are used on the top surface, in order to cover imperfections and make it highly resistant to wear,fading etc.
- Protective layer of lacquer to simplify cleaning
- Natural, soft and comfortable look and feel
- More durable and practical than aniline, while retaining a natural appearance
- Some of the natural marks are removed through sanding,but not all of them
- A light surface coating with a small amount of pigment is used to cover imperfections
- A thin coat of lacquer gives some protection and simplifies cleaning
- Delicate, extremely soft touch, natural and distinct looks
- One of the most precious finishing in leather manufacturing
- Only high quality raw-material is used
- Only colored with dyes (transparent chemicals) that allows the natural grain structure to show
- Surface is not covered with topcoat paint or pigments
- Unique surface, characteristics of the hide remains visible (pores, scars, structure etc.)
- Light surface coating may be applied to enhance its appearance and offer slight protection against spillages and soiling
Stressless leather qualities
The four leather qualities offered for Stressless furniture are developed for Ekornes in cooperation with our suppliers. Not all of them can be placed in one of the above-mentioned categories. The illustration below shows how our qualities can be classified on the scale from Pigmented to Aniline leather.